The Look Good Feel Better Blog
Look Good Feel Better would like to give a BIG thank you to Kelsey, who in February 2013 raised over $2,000 for the program by organizing a 5K race in her community. She named her event the HOPE Run, which stands for “Helping to Open People’s Eyes” to the physical and emotional effects of cancer. Kelsey plans on organizing another 5K race in her community soon.
If you or someone you know would like to organize a community event to benefit the LGFB program, please contact email@example.com, so we can help answer your questions and provide you with all the information you need to help make your event a success.
Thank you again Kelsey, we are so touched by your generosity towards others!
Look Good Feel Better is happy to announce that last week, during Look Good Feel Better week, we launched our new online Virtual Makeover Tool and online LGFB Beauty App for iPhones and iPads. We were very excited to demonstrate these new tools at the Oncology Nursing Society’s 38th Annual Congress in Washington D.C. With this new tool and app LGFB can now bring the workshop experience to patients no matter where they are and ultimately encourage more patients to attend an in-person workshop.
The LGFB Virtual Makeover tool provides a step-by-step walk through of the Look Good Feel Better 12-step beauty program, covering a variety of topics from skin care, cosmetic techniques to the use of turbans, hats and wigs and nail care. It also features expert advice in the form of instructional videos from fashion expert Stacy London and celebrity makeup artist Carmindy.
With the tool and app users have the option to use their own image captured through their mobile device or webcam, or use pre loaded images of past LGFB participants, to dynamically demonstrate how to combat the outward side effects of cancer treatment. Users can try on different shades and styles – creating and saving numerous different, unique looks.
You can access the tool by visiting our website, or you can download the iPhone or iPad compatible app by searching “LGFB Beauty” in the app store.
Leading Lady is proud to support Look Good Feel Better and the thousands of women they help to regain confidence while facing cancer. We are inspired by the work that look good feel better is doing for women and we are honored to be a part of the community standing alongside them to help advance their cause, and share their mission.
Many of us know, have known or will know a woman affected by cancer. We are honored to be supporting Look Good Feel Better, and are asking readers, customers, family and friends to join us by helping to raise awareness about this amazing organization and sharing the power of confidence.
Since 1939, my family has been proud to celebrate “Leading Ladies” everywhere through our company’s products, programs and philanthropic activities focused on the health and welfare of women in the communities where we live and work.
Like Look Good Feel Better, Leading Lady’s mission is to improve women’s self esteem and quality of life. At Leading Lady, we do this from the intimates, out. For women undergoing cancer treatment, an experience which may change her body, a properly fitting bra is vital.
Our fit-conscious Director of Design, Haidee Johnstone, shares her tips for achieving the ideal fit, maximizing comfort and ensuring proper support both during and after treatment. Here’s what she has to say…
Proper fit is essential to the health of your breasts. The right fit will help prevent sagging, chafing and keep breasts dry, supported and comfortable in even the most strenuous conditions. Plus, it will give you a lift, both literally and figuratively.
Here are some common signs you may not be wearing the correct size:
- If you can see part of your breasts sticking out of the neckline or the underarm, your bra cup is too small for your breast.
- You should not be using any of the under-bust elastic as part of the cup. If you are, it means the cup is not big enough for your breast.
- The band should sit flush against your chest in front and back without digging into your skin or the cup being wrinkled.
How can you achieve your ideal fit, support & comfort?
- Look at yourself in a mirror. Your breasts should appear supported and centered on your chest.
- Remember that many women are between sizes, so you may need to try a size up or down to get the best fit.
- As your body experiences physical changes, your breast size may also change. Get fitted or fit yourself using an online fit calculator every time you notice a significant change in your body.
- If you have undergone a mastectomy, measure yourself on the side of the remaining breast from center sternum to center spine. Double this measurement and then calculate your fit accordingly.
- Read the fit guide. Every company has their own idea of what represents the best fit so this is a great way to make sure the cup and band sizes are correct for you.
Comfort & Support
- Make sure the shoulder straps of your bra stay in place when you are in motion. If they slip off the shoulder or cut into the shoulder, adjust the straps or try a different size bra.
- Wider and padded shoulder straps will help to keep weight stress dispersed over a larger area for greater comfort. This will reduce pressure on your back and shoulders.
- Adjustable shoulder straps will accommodate your individual needs, depending on your height and the weight of your breasts.
- Select breathable, soft fabrics that will not irritate sensitive skin.
- Try several closure options to find the one that works best for you. If you have limited mobility or sensitive areas on your back, consider a front closing bra.
- Replace your bras when they are worn out and no longer provide the support you need.
We hope Haidee’s fit tips will help women undergoing treatment Look Good Feel Better from their intimates, out.
Guest post by Mark Corrado, President of Leading Lady featuring fit tips from Leading Lady Director of Design Haidee Johnstone
Look Good Feel Better has teamed up with Style for Hire, a national network of personal stylists co-founded by celebrity stylist and What Not to Wear host Stacy London during their third live streaming virtual workshop event which was held on November 1, 2011.
During the workshop Stacy London introduced the new “Styling Section” for the first time to the Look Good Feel Better program. Hosting the skin care, makeup portion of the workshop was celebrity makeup artist Carmindy, who is also from TLC’s What Not To Wear, and demonstrating wigs and head coverings was Linda Whitehurst , Look Good Feel Better national project director.
The new style component was developed by both Style for Hire and Look Good Feel Better experts. This new section will provide insight on how to use color in cosmetics or fabrics to create a bright, vibrant appearance; extend choices made for head coverings to create a complete look, and learn how women with any body type can use shape, silhouette and design to maintain their personal style while addressing the physical changes that often occur as a result of cancer treatment.
If you missed the virtual workshop you can watch it on our website at www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org. Don’t forget to visit our events page to learn about other events happening throughout the year!
During October’s Breast Cancer Awareness month Charming Charlie, a corporate partner of the Look Good Feel Better program, is hosting a 3,000 Accessory Challenge. For every hat, scarf or pair of earrings Charming Charlie sells, up to 12,000 accessories in all, they will donate one accessory to Look Good Feel Better program for our new demonstration kits. These new demonstration kits will be used in workshops around the country to support and enhance the program’s content.
For more information about the 3,000 Accessory Challenge, please visit the Charming Charlie Web site, or the Look Good…Feel Better Web site.
Happy Friday! We hope that this quote helps you start your weekend off right!
"It’s really important to feel cherished and appreciated for who you are and what you’re going through – as well as how beautiful you are. LGFB brought out every woman’s Inner beauty in addition to outer beauty that some of us didn’t know we had." Anonymous
Leave your thoughts on the program in the comment section below. Have a great weekend!
Look Good Feel Better’s corporate partner Clarisonic, has teamed up with select Ritz Carlton Spas and skin care company Skin Authority this October help raise funds and awareness for the Look Good Feel Better program.
From now through November 5, at participating Ritz Carleton Spas around the country a special Look Good Feel Better facial will be offered. When you book the exclusive Look Good Feel Better facial $15 dollars, $5 from each company, will be donated to the Look Good Feel Better program.
Please share this information with your family and friends know about these exciting events going on now. Don’t forget to check back on the Look Good Feel Better events page, to see what other activities we have going on in October and throughout the year!
It’s Friday, which means it is time for another LGFB patient quote
"This is a great program! i hope that it will continue for a long time to come. I encourage anyone going through chemo and/or radiation to get involved. it was a wonderful experience. Thank You!" - Anonymous
Spread the word about LGFB to your family and friends. Let us know what you think of the program by leaving a comment below.
Look Good Feel Better is dedicated to improving the self-esteem and quality of life of people undergoing treatment for cancer.